Thursday, June 9, 2011

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

What if a plane carrying a full load of school boys crashes on a deserted island with no adult survivors? What would happen to those boys? What would you expect to happen? These are the questions William Golding explores in this modern classic and the answers are not what maybe you would expect. There are many memorable characters, most notably Ralph, Jack and Piggy. The pig head scene and the last 50 pages are fascinating and intense. Democracy versus the darkside of human nature makes for a tense and often frightening story. This book is more for the high school student but could be appreciated by mature readers at the upper primary level. This book has been made into a film. To see the trailer click on the link below.

1 comment:

  1. I finally finished this, and I loved it!It is scary, and my faveourite character would have to be Simon, or Piggy, both of whom die, which was sad. I was extremely shocked though, and felt sick inside when they killed Simon. My little brother Lenny finds the front cover rather unnerving, and turns away when ever he sees it. all in all, I give this book a 9/10 , if I was a book critic!

    ReplyDelete