Friday, February 17, 2012

Blakes Maths Guide by Bev Dunbar

This is probably one of the best guides to mathematics that I have seen for upper primary and I have a considerable number of such books in my collection. I collect maths dictionaries and whilst it is not a dictionary as such, it thoroughly explains all the content of the Australian Curriculum for grade 5 and grade 6 students. Its main section match the new headers for maths: Number & Algebra, Measurement & Geometry and Statistics & Probability. Mathematics is a way of thinking and this book explains how the world works and helps students to see the maths around them. It assists students in talking about, drawing and recording mathematics. The definitions are clear and concise and written in friendly language. Many teachers would benefit from owning a copy of this little gem too.  The author, Bev Dunbar, is a well-know and respected maths educator and has worked with students, teachers and parents in both the public and private sectors. She has also lectured in Mathematics Education at the University of Sydney. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Carolyn I am glad you find this Guide to be so effective. Have you seen the Middle and Lower Primary Guides too? I am creating a new mathematics website,Maths Matters Resources, for primary teachers. I hope to launch it in late April. In the meantime you can keep an eye on my progress by linking to the Maths Matters Resources Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Maths-Matters-Resources/525822900791707

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bev, the kids refer to this book regularly in my room and it is a very valuable resource. Other staff members have copies of the texts for younger students.

    ReplyDelete