Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Pied Piper: Keith Smith's Riddle Book for Kids by Keith Smith

 This lovely little riddle book was published in 1960 and is a real little Australian gem. It contains some really great riddles which I will use in our classroom "riddleoffs" which I hold from time to time. The author, Keith Smith, sadly passed away last year in June.  It so happens that years and years before any of my class were born, or me either actually, that Keith Smith thought it would be a good idea to have a radio program, called "A Word From Children."  In it boys and girls had their say about all manner of things. Then five years later Keith started another program called "The Pied Piper."  Since that time children sent him thousands of riddles and asked him riddles during his Pied Piper program. the program was produced in front of live audiences in theatres and town halls all over Australia This book is the result of all that.

 

3 comments:

  1. I had this book when I was young. I am trying to find another copy for myself as I am a Teacher Librarian and loved all the jokes in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, there - i've got a copy of the book you can have after my parents have read it, if you haven't already got one.

      Delete
  2. A significant piece of Australian literature and media

    ReplyDelete